Write & Light
Inspiring creative writing lessons for luminous writers.
Get $50 Off the Course When You Register by November 2
The Write & Light Course
Generate your most luminous words with these inspiring creative-writing lessons. This open-genre course will have you writing honest and compelling work. You’ll read exciting poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction, and complete thoughtful generative assignments that will help you bring more resonance to your writing.
Is this you?
- You have dreamed of being a writer for years.
- You want to express your true self, but struggle to unlock the words.
- You sometimes wonder if your voice has a place in this world.
- You yearn to write stories or poems that resonate with readers.
- You want to start writing and connecting with inspiration and guidance.
If you identified with any of the above, Write & Light is for you.
Ready to shine?
after write & Light...
- You’ll have created honest and vulnerable stories or poems (your choice).
- You’ll have a deeper understanding of writing and your place in the world as a writer.
- You’ll have many more tools in your toolbox to generate truthful and brave new writing.
- You’ll understand what you’re meant to write and be motivated to write more.
Hi, I'm rachel Thompson
I created this course for you…
I’m a literary magazine editor (with Room), a published author, and the host of the Lit Mag Love Podcast (For Creative Writers Who Want to Publish). I am here to help you write and publish your most luminous work.
Here’s What My Students Say About My Teaching…
I am digging deep into whole new veins of story. Pure gold.
I just want to say how beautiful your writing is throughout this course, especially in the lesson Emotional Biography. It’s like I can hear your voice urging me on.
Well thought-out lessons, excellent reading material (loved the selections), great methodology. I love the insightful personal reflections and notes, the helpful and motivating exercises, and the self-care and accountability support. Honest and vulnerable and inspiring.
Rachel Thompson is the truth.
The course starts right away and includes ten inspiring lessons sent to you over 30 days. Each lesson starts with instruction on a theme and curated readings, then moves into motivating preparation and writing assignments. Writers are well-supported with processing and self-care activities. You can choose to work on lessons at your own pace or follow the schedule offered to keep you on track.
Here’s the course outline so you can make sure Write & Light is right for you:
- Lesson One: Don’t Erase Me—on being “seen” in your writing.
- Lesson Two: Writing in a Plague—on writing in difficult times.
- Lesson Three: Surprise!—on discovery in your writing.
- Lesson Four: Emotional Biography—on writing honest experience and emotional truth.
- Lesson Five: Failure—on failure and grace in your writing.
- Lesson Six: Inside/Out—on writing from different perspectives.
- Lesson Seven: The Shadow—on casting a shadow.
- Lesson Eight: Research as Astonishment—on adding more illumination to your writing.
- Lesson Nine: Negative Space—on intentionally leaving things out.
- Lesson Ten: Spellcasting and Self-Defence—on the magic and power of writing.
Join Write & Light
Get $50 off for NaNoWriMo!
When you register by November 2.
Regular Price: $129
This Special Offer Expires in
All prices in USD and include applicable taxes.
Securely pay with your Visa, MasterCard, or PayPal account.
Scholarships are available thanks to generous donations from members of my course community. Apply here.
Note: two-thirds of all scholarships are awarded to BIPOC and trans, non-binary, and Two-Spirit writers, who are wholeheartedly encouraged to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you mean by “creative writing”?
This course in creative writing covers poetry, fiction, and creative non-fiction (which includes essays and memoir). Each lesson offers readings in these three main categories, but you can write in any form that fits you. I show you different possibilities for how to write poetry or prose and real or imagined stories that go deeper into the subjects that matter and resonate.
What kind of writing experience do I need?
No writing experience is required to take this course. You are most welcome to join if you’re totally new to creative writing. It provides a great introduction to vital poetry, fiction, and non-fiction writing.
The course is also suitable for more experienced writers who want to add more depth and resonance to their work.
Will you provide feedback on my writing?
Because I aim to keep this course as simple and barrier-free as possible (including its price-tag), there is no feedback offered for your writing in the course.
You will be invited to share excerpts from your writing and discuss what you’re learning in the vibrant, private discussion area for each lesson. (Though some writers elect to really embrace their introversion instead, and that’s totally cool, too.)
If you want to get feedback on your writing, you can choose to join a small-workshop group of up to eight people after registering for this course. (This is only available to students in this course and the next workshop will happen in September. The cost is $100.)
When does the course start and end?
The course starts as soon as you sign up! You will have unlimited (lifetime) access to the materials and the course can be done at your own pace. For those who need accountability and deadlines, I have designed it to release lessons on a schedule over 30 days in order to keep you motivated and on track to complete each lesson.
Can I try before I buy?
Yes! Sign up for one free lesson here.
Do you offer scholarships?
Yes! All of my courses now have a limited number of scholarships available thanks to the generous donations of members in our course community. You're welcome to apply using this link.
Two-thirds of all my scholarships are awarded to BIPOC and trans, non-binary, and Two-Spirit writers.
If you’d like to help support another writer with a donation to the scholarship fund, please get in touch with me using the form below.